Ramp up your writing: enabling your child to develop their creative talents, secure mastery within their writing and delight in story-telling is crucial to passing the written English 11+ papers and preparing them for secondary school.
Monday 25th to Friday 29th October | Open to children in Year 4, 5 & 6
Each day we look at a different writing challenge; work on imagery and mood to engage the reader; and use Thinking Frames to plan and prepare for the task ahead.
With the basic skills in place and a solid understanding of the task, we want all our pupils to leave with their imagination fired up and ready to put pen to paper.
Monday: Writing a descriptive scene
- Introduce the ‘Describing’ Thinking Frame
- Learn how to make decisions when choosing from various topics or a picture in an exam
- Discover the key approaches to planning story elements
Tuesday: Continuation writing – developing a story
- Introduce the ‘Sequencing’ Thinking Frame
- Learn how to successfully finish off a story or develop it further
- Develop understanding and use of literary and authorial techniques in order to create an outstanding piece of independent writing
Wednesday: Show, don’t tell!
- Introduce the ‘Cause & Effect’ Thinking Frame
- Improve the quality of written description and imagery by learning and practising specific literary techniques
Thursday: Writing from a different perspective
- Use inferential thinking skills to tell the same story from another character’s point of view
- Employ the use of ‘character diagrams’ to develop a deep understanding of characters and their motivations
- Use critical and deductive reasoning skills to look for subtleties that lie beneath the surface of the text
- Practise writing from Third person to First person point of view
Friday: Writing from a title or prompt
- Use the ‘Sequencing’ Thinking Frame to plan a short story
- Learn how to write a story to fit a specific title
£180 for the 5 days (7.5 hours in total)